10 September, 2013

Chicken Barley Stew

Friday I wanted to make something really good for dinner. I knew Andrew was going to get off work early (well that was the plan I was counting on) and I decided I needed to be a good wifey.

Behold, Chicken Barley Stew - Crock Pot Style.

I think the crock pot might just be one of the best inventions ever. I found the recipe here, but I did make a few small changes. First, after I plan my meals out for the two weeks or three weeks I pull all the chicken out I will need shredded for the meals planned and do that all at once, then I separate it into individual freezer bags and bam. Done. So for this I pulled out one of those bags and threw it in, then it saved me the mess of shredding it later. I also didn't have all the veggies she used so I improvised. Pretty much anything you have will be wonderful. And final thing. Lately I've had lots of trouble with grains like rice, quinoa, and barley not cooking correctly in the crock pot. From burning to being undercooked - it hasn't been pretty. So I decided to cook the barley on the stove and add it to the stew just before it was finished. Because of this I cut the liquid back from 8 cups to about 6. 



Andrew was supposed to get off and meet me at the SUU football game, but oh man was that a sad game. When I left at half time we were winning 42 to 0, and it definitely wasn't gonna get better. So I left and we watched the BYU game at home instead. 

My legs turned into her own personal throne. 

We had so much fun spending time together! Although I was slightly jealous at my parents and little bro who happened to be at the BYU game.... LUCKY!


No comments:

Post a Comment