29 January, 2014

4-H Mentoring


Over the last semester I decided to work with the 4-H mentoring program here in Cedar City. The 4-H is the nation’s largest youth development organization. 

The four H’s of the 4-H stand for Head, Heart, Hands, and Health. 


Through this project I was able to make a difference in the lives of two young boys. They were able to learn the importance of having a structured program that prepared them to do well in school.
This is a picture that one of my boys had to paint
for a class. I can't say I was a ton of help but was
proud how well he did.

Completing this program I was able to learn that even though I am only one volunteer in about 540,000, it helped the two students that I did work with.



It was not an easy undertaking, to be assigned to boys who had such a great need of support to better prepare them for school and society.
This is us being funny. The hardhat
 is for privacy 
After going through the project I came to the realization that no matter your home life or your social interactions, with a little help and mentoring young students can succeed.




When I first started meeting with them I had a hard time getting them to feel comfortable around me, and I in turn felt slightly uncomfortable. As we got to know each other better, we all grew more comfortable                                                   with one another.

                                                           -Andrew Higham




No comments:

Post a Comment